Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tuck In Your Neighbor

    After turning off of Sicard Hollow Road, I am surrounded by trees with cabins nestled between them. As the road bends, I see the office where I am to visit. Walking from my car, I am aware of how quiet and calm the space is although being a neighbor to a major metropolitan city. The main campus is located on 363 acres off Sicard Hollow Road in Birmingham, Alabama. Nervous as I embark on this adventure I am met with a warm “Welcome to Glenwood.”

I don’t have many memories before I was a Girl Scout. It has been nearly 11 of my 16 years which has led to the beginning of my final Girl Scout Project, the Gold Award. A Gold Award is defined as a take action project that addresses an issue within the community.

For the past two years, my Girl Scout Troop has been involved with a Christmas Party at Glenwood and I was astonished by their work.

Just consider this: Present in 82 school systems and 53 counties in Alabama, Glenwood touches the lives of more than 7000 individuals throughout the state. Glenwood’s purpose is educating and treating individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder or a behavioral health disorder and offers more than 20 services for children, adolescents, adults, and families with mental health needs. It’s nationally renowned for its care, clinicians, and commitment to honoring the individual’s dignity.

Fast forward from the Christmas party to August 2012 ready to investigate for my project, I thought of Sherri Van Pelt, a family friend and fellow church member, who has been involved in many worthwhile causes. Unknown to me at the time, I discovered that Mrs. Van Pelt is the Vice President of Communications and Development at Glenwood.

From this meeting, rose my Gold Award. With Mrs. Van Pelt’s help, the staff at Glenwood, my Girl Scout Troop, family, and you, I am creating an annual drive called "Tuck In Your Neighbor" to collect new linens and other items on Glenwood’s wish list. This drive will last one week and begins in late March of 2013.

Thanks for viewing my blog, and for more information visit this blog for updates, www.glenwood.org, and “like” Tuck In Your Neighbor on Facebook. Thanks for your support with this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment